Resume (Curriculum Vitae)
07.11.60 Akureyri, Iceland
Tel. mobile: +354 822 3699
Tel. office: +354 588 0411
Updated on Sunday, June 13, 2004
- 1977 — 1981 School of Fine Art, Akureyri, Iceland
- 1981 — 1982 University of Iceland (Icelandic and Literature)
- 1983 — 1987 Icelandic College of Arts and Crafts, Reykjavik (BA)
- 1987 — 1989 Jan van Eyck Academy, Maastricht, Holland (Master)
Nominations and Awards
- 1992 THE VISA ART AWARD, for visual art.
- 1993 6-month visual artists stipend, from the Icelandic Ministry of Culture
- 1993 Nomination for the DV cultural prize, both for visual arts and literature.
- 1994 6-month writer’s stipend, from the Icelandic Ministry of Culture
- 1996 3-year visual artists stipend, from the Icelandic Ministry of Culture.
- 1997 SERRA PRIZEWINNER Award from the Richard Serra Fund for Artistic achivement
- 1997 Nomination for the DV cultural prize, for visual art.
- 1998 BEST CHILDREN’S BOOK OF THE YEAR 1998 - Prize from Reykjavik City for the book „My name is Betterby but you can call me Bobo“
- 2000 6-month writer’s stipend from the Icelandic Ministry of Culture.
- 2000 Invited artist in residence, in a IASPIS studio, Gothenburg Sweden
- 2000 BEST CHILDREN’S BOOK OF THE YEAR, 2000 - Prize from the Booksellers’ Guild in Iceland for „Are you Betterby…“
- 2000 THE STATE RADIO´S LITTERATURE PRIZE – A highly respected prize, annualy given to an outstanding Icelandic writer.
- 2001 6 month writer’s stipend from the Icelandic Ministry of Culture.
- 2002 Nominatet for the NORDIC CHILDREN’S LITERATURE PRIZE for the Betterby books.
- 2002 Prize from THE EDSTRANSKA FUND in Sweden, for his contribution to international contemporary art.
- 2002 6 month writer’s stipend from the Icelandic Ministry of Culture.
- 2002 BEST CHILDREN’S BOOK OF THE YEAR, 2002 - Award from the Booksellers' Guild in Iceland for „Betterby – the Journey to Targia“
Teaching, Lectures and Courses Including
- 1991 — 2000 Icelandic College of Arts and Crafts Reykjavik;
- Icelandic University of Education; University of Iceland Extramural Programme;
- California Institute for the Arts, Valencia California USA;
- Art Center, Pasadena, California USA;
- AKI Enschede Holland;
- The Art Academy of Vilnius, Lithuania;
- Valand College of Art, Gothenburg, Sweden
- 2000 — 2001 Guest professor at the Art Academy of Stuttgart, Germany
- 2002 Guest professor at the Icelandic University of Arts;
- 2003 Creative Live Coach at FullyAlive Coaching in Los Angeles
Television – Radio – Film including
- 1991/1992 THE POCKET THEATRE, (52 weekly radio performances) Channel 2 (script and perfomance)
- 1992 “And Then the Fool Woke up“ (15 min. play) Icelandic State TV (story, script & direction)
- 1993 I WOULD LIKE… with Brynja X. Vifilsdottir. 3-minute video (script/direction)
- 1995/1996 THE POCKET THEATRE, 15 weekly Performances on Icelandic State TV (story, script and direction)
- 1994/1996 CHILDREN´S HOUR, 52 X 5-6 minute scetches. Icelandic State TV (script)
- 1997 HEAVILY MORTGAGED (Teleplay, 20 min) Icelandic State TV (Script)
- 1997 BUILT TO LAST (Teleplay, 20 min) Icelandic State TV (Script)
- 1997 AS I SAID (Teleplay, 20 min) Icelandic State TV (Script)
- 1999 JESUS IS CLOSER TO HOME 28 min. documentary/with Olafur Johannesson and Ragnar Santos (Script and direction)
- 1999 MITTENS FOR GRANDFATHER (10 min) Icelandic State TV (story and script)
- 2000 DOCUMENT ON DISAPPEARANCE 28 min. (made in collaboration with 5 students of the Valand College of Arts in Gothenburg, for the exhibition AMATEUR at the Gothenburg Art Museum.)
- 2001 MOST REAL DEATH, 24:31 minute video made at the Art Gallery in Norrköping, Sweden for the exhibition OMSTILLING (concept, direction)
- 2002 THE MOST REAL DEATH 2001 22 minute video. Made in Milano, in collaboration with HELENA JONSDOTTIR, for the Exhibition MILANO-EUROPA 2000 at PACK/TRIENNALE Art Centers in Milano, Italy
- 2001 SHAME ON YOU ROVANIEMI A video loop, made in Iceland, for the exhibition OMSTILLING in Rovaniemi, Finland. (concept, direction)
- 2002 THE RUNAR PALSON STORY A short film, commisioned by the Icelandic State TV
- 2002 HIGHER POWER (or Default) Filmscript made in collaboration with director Olafur Johannesson. Adoption from Thorsteinsson’s book GENTELMAN´S TALE from 2001. Filmed in spring 2003.
Scripts in Progress
- ACT NORMAL Filmscript. Black comedy set in Los Angeles.
- BETTERBY Filmscript adoption from the first Betterby book.
- BRING THIS TO SOPHIE Filmscript. Based on an original story.
Selected Stage Plays
- 1992 IN HONOUR OF THE OCCASION (One-act play, 30 min.) performed by the Pinter Theatre in Reykjavik. (Story and script)
- 1993 THE MESSAGE POUCH (Fairy-Tale Musical, 120 min.) performed on the main stage of the National Theatre in Reykjavik, '93-'94. (Story, script, lyrics)
- 1994 TALESPIN (Drama, 110 min.) performed at the Theatre of the Icelandic School of Drama, Reykjavik. (Story, script)
- 1995 I WAS ASKED TO BE HERE (Monologue, 50 min.) Created by Sigrun Sol Olafsdottir and Gudjon Pedersen from texts by Thorvaldur Thorsteinsson. Shown in the Café Theatre and on tour in Iceland and abroad. Actor, Sigrun Sol; Director, Gudjon Pedersen.
- 1996 FAIRY-TALE ABOUT LOVE (Monologue, 20 min.) performed at the Theatre of the Icelandic School of Drama, Reykjavik (Story, script)
- 1997 LIVE (Drama, 120 min.) performed at the Flugfélagið Loftur Theatre, Reykjavik, Iceland. (Story, script)
- 1998 ME AND MY BOY (Drama) Performed at the Hermodur and Hadvor Theatre, Hafnarfjörður, Iceland. (Story, script)
- 1999 IN THE AUDIENCE (A play made from a selection of Pocket Plays and the one act play In the Honour of the Occasion) Flensborg School, Hafnarfjordur. Arrangement and direction: Stefan Jonsson
- 1999 FAIRY TALE ABOUT LOVE (Full length version of the play from '96) Performed at the Café Theatre, Reykjavik (Story, script, songtexts)
- 1999 ELLY, ALWAYS GOOD (Monologue, 20 minutes) performed at the Theatre of the Icelandic School of Drama, Reykjavik (Story, script)
- 2002 AND BJÖRK, OF COURSE… (120 minutes contemporary drama.) Directed by Benedikt Erlingsson. Commissioned from the Reykjavik City Theatre and developed in a workshop with actors from the theatre and Benedikt Erlingsson. (story, script)
- 2002 AND BJÖRK, OF COURSE… selected for the program INTERNATIONAL PLAYWRIGHTS : NEW PLAYS FROM THE NORDIC COUNTRIES at the ROYAL COURT THEATRE in London in December 2002
- 2002 THE FARTING HILL (45 minutes children play). Moguleikhusid, Childrens Theatre, Reykjavik, Iceland (Story, script)
- 2002 THERE WAS A CHILD IN THE VALLEY… (45 minutes play for teenagers.) The STOPP THEATRE GROUP, Reykjavik, Iceland (Story, script)
- 2003 GUILT Y (60 minutes play) Winner of Reykjavik City Theatre’s competition for new one hour plays. Performed in spring 2003
- 1985 TWENTY-TWO OLD FRIENDS (Own publication, Reykjavik) Drawings
- 1986 THE MESSAGE POUCH (Children’s book, text & illustrations. MM, Reykjavik)
- 1987 HUNDRED EVENTS (Texts & reproductions of own paintings, own publication, Reykjavik)
- 1988 JOKES (Voss Forlag, Amsterdam)
- 1988 FAIRY TALES (Voss Forlag, Amsterdam)
- 1988 MEMOIRS (Voss Forlag, Amsterdam)
- 1988 GAMES (Voss Forlag, Amsterdam)
- 1989 OPENINGS (Changed photographs, Jan van Eyck Akademie, Maastricht)
- 1991 STATES (Cut photographs. Galerie NEMO, Eckernförde)
- 1992 AN ANGEL IN THE AUDIENCE (Texts, Bjartur, Reykjavik)
- 1996 6 WORKS (Texts and photographs, Reykjavik)
- 1998 ART WORKS (Texts and photographs, Reykjavik) Artworks 1991 — 1997
- 1998 MY NAME IS BETTERBY BUT YOU CAN CALL ME BOBO (Novel. Bjartur, Reykjavik)
- 2000 ARE YOU BETTERBY? I HAVE AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE (Novel. Bjartur, Reykjavik)
- 2001 GENTLEMAN’S TALE (novel, Bjartur, Reykjavik)
- 2001 KNITTENS FOR GRANDFATHER (Childrens book, illustrated by Snorri Freyr Hilmarsson)
- 2002 BETTERBY – The Journey to Targia (Novel. Bjartur, Reykjavik)
Books in Progress
- 2003 BETTERBY #4 (Novel, Bjartur, Reykjavik)
Selected Solo Exhibitions and Projects since 1990
- 1990 Zeno X Gallery, Antwerp, Belgium (with Guillaume Bijl)
- 1991 Galerie NEMO, Eckernförde, Germany
- 1991 Lumen Travo Galerie, Amsterdam, Holland
- 1992 Living Art Museum, Reykjavik, Iceland
- 1992 Cultural Centre, Reykjavik, Iceland
- 1993 Slunkariki, Isafjördur, Iceland
- 1993 Mokka, Reykjavik, Iceland
- 1994 Lumen Travo Galerie, Amsterdam, Holland
- 1994 The Pearl, Reykjavik, Iceland
- 1995 Galerie Van den Berge, Goes, Holland
- 1995 Hörri´s second floor, Seydisfjördur, Iceland
- 1996 ETERNAL LIFE, Akureyri Municipal Art Museum, Iceland
- 1997 Gallery i8, Reykjavik, Iceland
- 1999 United Airlines flight between LA and NY, USA, Galleri Hallson.
- 1998 Gallery 20m2, Reykjavik, Iceland
- 1998 Fish Gallery, Reykjavik, Iceland
- 1999 Galerie van den Berge, Goes Holland
- 1999 Cultural Center, Reykjavik Iceland (RETROSPECTIVE show at the invitation of the City of Reykjavik in which works of the last 10 years were introduced, and a seminar held for discussion of the artists career.)
- 1999 Gallery Saevar Karl, Reykjavik, Iceland.
- 2000 Galerie Nemo, Eckernförde, Germany.
- 2000 Kvarnen, Konstföreningen, Söderhamn, Sweden.
- 2000 The Corridor, Reykjavik, Iceland.
- 2003 ROOM DESIGN – Commisioned work for Art Hotel Winston, Amsterdam. Holland
- 2004 Gothenburg Konsthalle, Sweden. A retrospective of Thorsteinsson’s work, commisioned by the Gothenburg Konshalle. Will travel around Europe 2004 — 2005
Selected Group Exhibitions and Projects since 1990
- 1990 ZELFPORTRETTEN, Rumpff Gallery, Haarlem, Holland
- 1990 GARDEN SHOW, Reykjavik Art Festival, Reykjavik, Iceland
- 1990 FOR REAL NOW, Hoorn, Holland
- 1991 LITTLE THINGS MEAN A LOT, Momentary Modern, Amsterdam, Holland
- 1991 Foire d´Art Actuel Brussel, Belgium
- 1991 BUILT ON WATER, Goes, Holland
- 1991 Galerie Van den Berge, Goes, Holland
- 1991 KLIMAAT, Lumen Travo Galerie, Amsterdam, Holland
- 1991/1992 AURORA, Nordic Art Centre Helsinki, Finland/Kulturhuset Stockholm, Sweden
- 1992 CONTEMPORARY ICELANDIC SCULPTURE, Reykjavik Art Festival, Kringlan (Shopping Mall) Reykjavik, Iceland
- 1992 NORDSKEN, Konsthallen, Gothenburg, Sweden
- 1992 THREE ICELANDIC ARTISTS, Galleriet, Vaxjö, Sweden
- 1993 EQUILIBRIUM, Riga, Latvia
- 1993 16 DAYS, Video & performance, Living Art Museum, Reykjavik, Iceland
- 1993 “7x7“ (Group show in seven countries)
- 1994 “THE MALE IMAGE”, Cultural Center, Reykjavik, Iceland
- 1994 SOMMERBEELDEN, Goes, Holland
- 1994 SCULPTURE, SCULPTURE, SCULPTURE, Reykjavik Art Museum, Iceland
- 1995 YOUNG BRITISH ARCHITECTS, London, England. (HOUSE OF 19/with Studio Granda, Architects, Reykjavik Iceland)
- 1995 PORT OF ART, Kotka, Finland
- 1995 FOREST FLORA, Hallormsstadur, Iceland
- 1995 STREETS, Helsinki Art Hall, Finland
- 1996 Gallery Greip, Reykjavik, Iceland
- 1996 National Gallery, Reykjavik, Iceland
- 1996 CONTAINER 96, Copenhagen, Denmark
- 1997 NORDICA, Helsinki, Finland
- 1998 NUIT BLANCHE, Musée d'Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris, France
- 1998 BITCHES AND BEAUTIES, Living Art Museum, Reykjavik, Iceland
- 1998 JUNGE KUNST INTERNATIONAL Overbeck Gesellsachft Lübeck, Germany.
- 1998 MARIA MAGDALENA, VROUW+MAN=RAADSEL, Maria Magdalena Church, Goes, Holland
- 1999 MIDNIGHT WALKERS - CITY SLEEPERS, Amsterdam, Holland.
- 1999 WELCOME TO THE ART WORLD, Badischer Kunstverein, Karlsruhe, Germany.
- 1999 OMSTILLING, Cophenhagen, Denmark
- 1999 Kulturbahnhof Eller, Düsseldorf, Germany
- 2000 ORGASM, Akureyri Municipal Art Museum, Akureyri, Iceland
- 2000 SHOOT - moving images by artists, Malmö Konsthall, Sweden
- 2000 OMSTILLING (second version) Norrköping Konstmuseum, Sweden
- 2000 “THE FUTURE IS NOW” Nordic Video Archive, Stockholm, Sweden
- 2000 AMATEUR/ELDSJÄL Göteborgs Konstmuseum, Gothenburg, Sweden
- 2000 @, National Gallery of Iceland, Reykjavik Cultural City of Europe
- 2000 Töölönlahti Bay Art Garden, Helsinki, Cultural City of Europe.
- 2001 OMSTILLING (third version) Finland
- 2001 SHOOT - moving images by artists, Batanien Berlin, Germany
- 2001 OMSTILLING (fourth version) Rovaniemi, Finland
- 2001 366/2000 Art Projcet. MUKA Gallery, Auckland, New Seeland
- 2001 MILANO-EUROPA 2000 PACK/TRIENNALE Contemporary Art Centers in Milano, ITALY
- 2001 INTERFERENCE, Palazzo delle Papesse, SIENA, ITALY
- 2001 BLICK Nordic Video Show travelling to more than 20 countries all around the world.
- 2001 MYND, Icelandic Contemporary Art, in Henie Onstad Art Center, Oslo, Norway
- 2002 ICELAND/IMAGES GERDUR HELGADOTTIR MUSEUM, Iceland (with Ivar Brynjolfsson, Hrafnkell Sigurdsson, Haraldur Jonsson, Daniel Magnusson and Spessi)
- 2002 LOST AND FOUND Installation made for the Reykjavik Art Festival at the +exhibition MYND at Reykjavik Art Museum, Iceland
- 2002 LOST AND FOUND Installation made for Akureyri Art Museum, Iceland
- 2002 The Winners of the Edstrandska Fund Prize, 2002. In Malmö Konsthall, Malmö, Sweden
- 2003 100 ARTISTS SEE GOD Exhibition in Los Angeles, curated by Meg Cranston and John Baldessari
Performances and Happenings
- 1988 “Can language problem be a creative force?“ (Lecture given in Icelandic for people who didn't understand a word of the language) Maastricht, Holland
- 1990 “YOUR PORTRAIT (all in) now 200 franks only“ Aalst, Belgium
- 1996 NEXT BAZAAR IS ON SATURDAY AT 3 O´CLOCK. Part of the exhibition Eternal Life at the Akureyri Municipal Art Museum, Akureyri, Iceland
- 1998 CELEBRITY STREET MAP, opening performance at Fish Gallery, Reykjavik, Iceland (with Joni Jonsdottir)
- 1999 THE SALESMAN, GUSTAV GUSTAVSSON, at a Performance evening at the Café Theatre, Reykjavik, Iceland
- 2001 THE CHAIR Sound installation/performance at the 2001 Performance festival, The Living Art Museum, Reykjavik, Iceland
- 1989 IK BEEN LISA, Jan van Eyck Akademie, Maastricht, Holland
- 1995 THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTION TO ART - at the exhibition Port of Art, Kotka, Finland
- 1998 CONCERT, Gallery 20 m2 Reykjavik
- 1999 LIEDERABEND Galerie NEMO, Eckernförde, Germany;
- 2000 HOME SWEET HOME, at the ORGASM exhibition, Municipal Art Museum Akureyri
- 2001 KONSERT Henie Onstad Kunstsenter Oslo, Norway,
- 2002 OPERA NIGHT Palazzo delle Papesse in Siena, Italy
- 2002 CONCERT Malmö Konsthall in Sweeden.
- Reykjavik Art Museum, National Gallery of Iceland, Akureyri Municipal Art Museum, The Living Art Museum Reykjavik, PTT Holland, City of Hoorn, Holland, Ignatius Ziekenhuis Breda Holland.
- Book-works in the collection of Bibliotheque Nationale in Paris, Victoria and Albert Museum in London and in private collections in Holland, Belgium, Germany, U.S.A. and Russia.
- From 1981 — 1999 Copy writer and later creative director at GSP Advertising and PR Agency in Iceland.
- From 1991 Owner and director of the Pocket Theatre.
- From 1994 Head curator at MIT (Museum of Imaginary Totality)
- 2000 CURATOR for John Baldessari show WHILE SOMETHING IS HAPPENING HERE, SOMETHING ELSE IS HAPPENING THERE, at the Reykjavik Art Museum, Reykjavik, Iceland
- 2003 CREATIVE COACH and lecturer in Southern California